Round two of Atcore Testing

It has been about two weeks since I last wrote about AtCore. In that time Tomaz has commited a few changes that allow us to use a plugin system so that AtCore can specialize in speaking your firmware!? Or something like that. Really what It means is that we should be able to keep most all of the common stuff within the AtCore object and use the plugins to give us firmware specific stuff when needed.

Did someone say Test?.

The test is pretty stright foward and that is to evaulate how well AtCore is doing at sending print commands to the printer to do this really we just need to be able to print an object that takes some amout of time.

Late nights printing tiny pyramids

I’ve been awake all night watching this thing print is working as expected. First I had to find a decent model to print and I came across this cool Fractal pyramid

Model by ricktu



Mandatory hardware pictures ?

Two computers.. one to record and play host while the other keeps my sanity durring the nights print.It would be along print the slicer estimates the print to take around 5 hours. Ok time for the mandatory hardware pictures of stuff Check out the computer that will be hosting the printer and recording video for later.In this Set up we will have

chairs eyeview

Two cameras extruder cam and an overview cam. Sadly my 3rd camera didn’t want to play along it was

time for a new floor?

just unable to get a decent focus on the printer LCD so we will have to go without this time.


 Watch the Timelapse video ….7 hours later…..

After 7 hours of printing we have it completed. The Best part i have saved for last when printing



i have used glow in the dark filiament. To quickly charge up the glowing i have placed



the model between the lights of some very bright led lamps. Unfortunately the Camera didn’t do such a great job picking up the detail with the model glowing in the dark



So how did we do?

Well the print was a success! The RAM usage was a bit high for my liking but is most likey due to our text log. We will do further tests to check that. The Firmware Plugin for Repitier seams to be printing stabily for any lenght print I would call that a success!



AtCore test

AtCore itself only has some limited functionality planed and will just handle the communication between Atelier  and the printer. We have most of the basic functionality working and are starting to work on printing. And today we reach a milestone There is enough code working for me to print! Below you can watch the test print. Sorry there is no sound.

Hello World

My name is Chris, and I’m currently working on the new KDE Printer host Atelier. Atelier, as some of you may have heard, is the new incarnation of Br-Print3D. I will just briefly say its been very exciting to work with the other team members, and I look forward to contributing further.

I guess I should tell you all a little about myself. I learned C++ in high school computer science, but that was long ago. Since then, I have never stopped programming toys for myself and others. I have been a Linux user since around when I started in computer science and have used KDE as my main DE for just about the entire time. Around 2003, I switched to purely open source software. You see, I had always dabbled, but I just was not really ready to stop using the other proprietary operating systems. Then, in 2005, I started to become a fairly active member over at the Kubuntu forums. I started mostly doing it as a fun way to expand my knowledge base while helping others.

I started my first open source project, Black Chocobo, and would never look back. It was my first real Qt project, too. Eventually, I had some contributors and was helping other programers who were using Qt to make other tools for the same game. This led to my second project, ff7tk: A toolkit written in Qt designed to make it easier for people to make tools for FF7. It’s been a long process with lots of time spent and skills learned. ff7tk and Black Chocobo ended up being some amazing projects. You might be asking why even mention these projects, as they have little to nothing to do with KDE other than being Qt based. It’s because I started that first project to get better with Qt with the goal of one day being good enough to help improve KDE.